Monday, 18 July 2011

Celebrity Crushes - Infatuation or Inspiration?

It's a new week so, despite a slight hangover (sparkling wine does that to me, I should know better), I thought I'd do something a little different with the blog this week, and do a week of Top 5's.  No idea why, I just thought it might be fun.  So, to kick off the week we have celebrity crushes.  We've all had them, (come on, admit it, we have!), and I thought I'd share my Top 5 with you.  Here we go, in no particular order...


1) Keanu Reeves  
  
Actually, when I said in no particular order I meant apart from this one. Because Keanu Reeves is probably my ultimate celebrity crush, and certainly one of my longest-standing.  He came to my attention first in 'Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure' when I thought he was cute, but I didn't fancy him.  Until I saw 'Point Break'. Five times in one week actually but I think I've already mentioned that somewhere. That was the start of it all for me.  He's not the best actor in the world - some people may even describe his acting as more wooden than the New Forest - but as far as I'm concerned I care not a jot.  He looked sexy as hell in 'Speed', was gorgeous in 'My Own Private Idaho', lovely in 'The Lake House' - but we don't talk about The Matrix.  Went to see the first one purely because of all the hype, but left feeling as though I'd just sat a maths exam! No film should ever make you have to work that hard! So, even the lure of Keanu couldn't make me want to sit through any more of those, although, we did watch the last one on a cruise one year but only 'cos the weather was dodgy and the cinema was free and I spent the entire time just looking at Keanu and not caring what the hell was going on with the plot. Not that I'd have understood it anyway, and neither did anyone else in that cinema by all accounts. On the way out I heard one bloke ask "What the hell was all that about?" to which someone replied "Don't ask me, I was asleep!" Enough said.
But Keanu will always be my no.1 celebrity crush, for the shallowest of reasons, but we all need a bit of escapismn, don't we?

2) Michael Keaton

A pretty much under-rated actor in my opinion.  But the best Batman!  Another long-standing celebrity crush of mine, he might be knocking on a bit now in terms of age but he's still got a wicked sense of humour and a cute smile, and he's made some films that I can watch time and time again without ever getting bored.  He was hilarious in 'The Dream Team', quite unnerving in 'Pacific Heights' and 'My Life' was a definite tear-jerker.  I've just always liked the guy, for reasons I can never quite put my finger on (unlike Keanu - I can put my finger on a lot of reasons there!), and he did a cracking performance in that episode of 'Fraiser' back in the '90's! He's also got the kind of voice I could listen to for hours.  Yep, a real favourite of mine is Mr. Keaton.

3)  Dave Grohl

I've got a thing about men with tattoos. Especially rock stars with tattoos. And especially Dave Grohl, he of Foo Fighters fame.  I'm a bit of a closet rock-chick you see; I've even got a tattoo of my own (acquired in Tenerife by a Spanish version of Axl Rose! And it didn't hurt.  Much...) and to say I love all things rock 'n' roll would be an understatement.  My third completed but as yet unpublished novel (still needs a title change) features a rock band and a rock chick - and a politician, but you'll have to wait until I decide to publish the book to read all about that love triangle!  Anyway, Dave Grohl, yes.  The only non-actor to appear in my top 5 (although he does some hilarious performances in some of The Foo Fighter's videos! Look up 'Learn To Fly', it's really, really funny!) but he deserves to be there because, in my opinion, he's the perfect rock star!  With a great voice!  Not much else to say about him really.


4)  Pierce Brosnan


As long as he isn't singing. His is the only part of 'Mamma Mia' that I have to watch from behind a cushion because he murdered 'SOS', one of my all-time favourite Abba songs!  Sacrilege!  I may find the strength to forgive him one day.  But ever since 'Remington Steele' (anyone else remember that?  Or is just me who watched far too much rubbish TV in the 80's?) I've had a little crush on Mr. Brosnan.  Fell in love with him completely for a few months after seeing 'The Lawnmower Man', and he's another actor with one of those voices I could listen to all day.  Enough said.



5) Ralph & Joseph Fiennes
Ralph Fiennes


Joseph Fiennes
Ok, so I've cheated slightly here but they are brothers so I'm counting them as one choice!  My rules!! Ralph is the third person in this list with a voice I never get tired of listening to (except in 'Maid in Manhattan', I could have done without the American accent in that) and Joseph is just pure eye candy!  Was glued to 'Flashforward' every week just to watch him (and for some reason his American accent in that didn't bother me! How fickle am I?!) because he was really just a little bit sexy as Agent Mark Benford...still gutted they've axed that.  I've still got the final episode on the Sky+ Box because I can't bear to delete it!  Anyway, they're quite a pair are the Fiennes brothers, and deserved members of my Top 5 celebrity crushes.

But the title of this post was Infatuation or Inspiration?  And I'd say the latter for me, because I do believe that, especially when writing romance (as I do, as well as chick lit) you need quite a bit of inspiration when creating your leading men, as real life doesn't always provide you with it, unfortunately.  And have any of these aforementioned men helped me create characters in any of my books?  Yes.  They have.  All of them have. And they - as well as plenty of others, because I didn't even get round to mentioning George Clooney, Vince Vaughn or Bradley Cooper! - will continue to do so for as long as I continue to write which, God willing, will be for quite a while yet!  So, maybe this has made you think about your own celebrity crushes, and maybe it's made you want to check out my books and see if you can spot who inspired who character-wise?  You know where to look if the latter is the case. ;-)




3 comments:

  1. Here, here!! I too adore Pierce Brosnan, Ralph Fiennes, George Clooney but my first choice without a doubt is Colin Firth! Maybe, not complete eye-candy but just terribly 'English' and I absolutely love that about him! Great blog!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it just me is Hugh Laurie real sexy, I really Like him, love him on House, Wentworth Miller is the one though, Channing Tatum, Johnny Depp, There are too many to name,

    All these guys are hot yes, That Joseph guy is sooooooooo hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, it's not just you. I've got a strange crush on Hugh Laurie too!! :)

    ReplyDelete